Thursday, September 2, 2010

Vague/Ambiguous Sentence


A vague or ambiguous sentence leaves one open to misinterpretation or to an unclear meaning.

Last year, my husband and I were commenting on the loss of his perspective jobs.  He is a plumbing contractor and although he has multiple contracts, the jobs have slowed down.   Then he said, “It is what it is." I had not heard that before, so I was stumped.  What did he mean by that?  It was so vague.  He could have talked in great detail about the negative factors influencing his specific business.

In the mean time, I keep hearing this phrase over and over again from people in different walks of life.  It seems odd.  I feel that they must not want to elaborate on whatever topic it is.  It may be a sign of the times, as I had never heard this until recently.  This phrase can be used to change the topic or end a conversation.  

1 comment:

  1. I too have been guilty of using this phrase in the past. I have found that the statement is usually used when following a conversation that has already provided some detail on the topic discussed and can be used to state acceptance of the situation or statement of fact. The phrase “It is what it is” assumes a level of understanding on both the speaker and listener. Vague statements neglect to incorporate the details that would make the statement clearer and easier to follow. These slang phrases have also replaced the need for the speaker to elaborate, further limiting communication. Thanks to you, I will be more aware of how I use this phrase in the future.

    ReplyDelete