Friday, September 17, 2010

Practice Mentoring

In reading chapter 4, in The Essential Guide to Group Communication, I found the section on mentoring to be right on.  Mentoring is an important part of any organization.  The person who mentors is someone with experience that is respected in his or her profession.  The protege is the person new to the department that needs someone that can train them in a comfortable atmosphere.  The mentor can make or break the employee, especially in my profession because "nurses eat their young."

As a new nurse, I was paired up with a mentor.  She had been in nursing for quite a while.  Although I did well in school, it was not the same once I was in the hospital unit.  Her ability to explain and teach me made a world of difference.  I felt that I could stop and ask her for the rationale on any thing that I had to do.  It has been eight years since I began nursing, and I owe her much gratitude for taking me under her wings.

Today, I am a mentor to new RN graduates.  I really enjoy the time I spend with them.

2 comments:

  1. I like your example of mentoring for nurses. I believe that if you get a job or even join an organization you must get a mentor in order to guide you. A mentor must be a respected and well experienced person while the protege is must be willing to learn and get advising from the mentor. It is also good for a college student to get a mentor especially if they're planning to join an organization or fraternity/sorority . It is also cool to mentor someone because someone is looking up to you and it makes you feel like you are an important person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you were very fortunate to have a knowledgeable and approachable mentor. These qualities are important in serving as a mentor and providing a good mentoring experience. I believe everyone should have the chance to serve as a mentor. It allows you to relive the experience of starting a profession from the beginning and hopefully provides a fresh perspective from a new employee. Each mentor also shares unique experiences and education that you may not learn in a formal education setting. It sounds like the new RN’s are fortunate to have the opportunity to shadow you and that you are sensitive to their new environment.

    ReplyDelete